Thursday, February 17, 2011

The "N" word

Uncle Chuckie, why do these guys always call each other "Nigga"?

Ignorance. Ignorant to the fact. They don't know the real meaning of the word nigga or nigger. After the revolts of the 50's and 60's our people felt that we couldn't't let them dictate how we live our lives so we must create our own way of living. We developed our own music, our own fashions and our own language. Unfortunately too many chose the wrong route. They kept the 'ghetto' state of mind. "And if it ain't no ghetto we gonna make a ghetto." They try to turn discriminating language into what they call language of love and friendship. And the main ones are; Nigga, Dog, Bitch, Boy and Girl. When we are young, just little children, we hear our parents say about us, "Look at my little man!" "She's my little lady." When we became adults it's, "That's my boy right there!" "I'm gonna hang out with the girls tonight." Street language, "Hey! Wha' sup my nigga!?" "Come here bitch, you no you my girl."
I ask a few guys, "What is the definition of the word nigga?" One guy literally looked at me and said, "Us?" I must admit, I used the word a lot growing up until my baby sister told me, "You sure do use that word a lot." I thought about it and she was right. I looked up the definition of that word and have not used it since. The dictionary I had when I was growing up had it listed as 'a derogatory name for a black person. A lazy, shiftless person.' Now in today's dictionary it began with; "a black person. a member of any dark-skinned race. Then is says "a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc. a victim of prejudice, similar that suffered by blacks.'
Those are still not the real definition of the word 'nigga'. The real definition is," 1/5th of a man, lower than a dog." And what are these people calling themselves now? "Niggas', Bitches and Dogs."
What's wrong with this picture. They don't have to put us down anymore and call us niggas and bitches...we are doing a fantastic job of keeping ourselves down.

No comments:

Post a Comment